A fair bit has changed since I first wrote about My Hilux. I bought it as a daily driver, and toy for going on holidays every now and again, as well as for doing day trips around Perth. I’ve now started building it into a tourer, so we can camp for longer durations in relative comfort.
I don't intend on doing massive desert crossings, but to be able to take off within 1000km of Perth for a few weeks at a time would be great. It no longer gets driven as my daily driver, which means I can work on it with ease.
Things that have changed:
- 15x8 black sunnies with 33x12.5” Maxxis Bighorns
- LPG Conversion
- 2” Body Lift
- ARB winch bar on the front
- New rear wheel carrier with dual jerry can holders
- Fitted a second gas tank (totals 135L of LPG plus 55L petrol)
- Flexiglass canopy (painted to match the vehicle)
- Purchased an Evakool Fridge/Freezer
- Custom built roof racks
- New interior light – the LED panels are incredible!
- Purchased an RV5 Oztent with all of the accessories (second hand for a steal!)
- Bunnings garden edging flares
- Purchased a Go Pro Camera to record the four wheel driving goodness
- Rear drawer system with fridge slide (purchased the slides for this) and fold out table
- Canopy LED lights (strip lighting) mounted to the inside of the canopy
- Work light (LED Strip lighting) mounted on the canopy window
- Improving economy (re-gearing/engine modifications)
- Building rock sliders
- On board compressor
- 12V outlets (and 240V) in the rear drawer system
- Dual Battery system
- Upgraded suspension
- Checker plate tailgate
- Upgraded spotlights and headlights
My Hilux has nearly ticked over 300,000km and is still going well. I’ve considered upgrading to something else, but I am very happy with the Hilux, and will most get it set up properly and then maintain it as required. They are very reliable vehicles, and I don’t expect any major issues any time soon.
In future posts I intend on running through more details about some of the modifications that have already done, as well as guides and information on the future plans.