≡ Menu

About Us

Welcome to 4WDing Australia!

4WDing Australia

Sarah, Ollie and Aaron

This blog is run by Aaron and Sarah Schubert. We’ve been avid 4WD owners and campers for many years, and love nothing more than heading away to explore this amazing country. We drive an Isuzu Dmax, tow a Camper trailer and have a 2.5 year old and 5 week old boy.

We live in Perth and have travelled a fair chunk of Western Australia by 4WD. We have future plans to do the full lap.

This website was created to share our experiences and help, inspire and guide others to get out and to travel Australia by 4WD. We are constantly learning, and love nothing more than passing on genuine, high quality and relevant information to our audience. You’ll find trip reports, destination reviews, 4WD tips and technical information, product reviews, information on camping and a whole lot more.

We run this site in our own time, and would appreciate if you could support us. The biggest help is simply sharing our posts on Facebook, Twitter, forums, email or word of mouth. We really appreciate it.

We also work with a variety of quality companies. If you want to work with us, we offer a range of services.

Feel free to contact us

See you out there!

57 comments… add one
  • justin chee January 2, 2010, 4:58 PM

hi,Aaron.
    i like ur web page, as i m north of the river, ur stories on travelling about and around is very intersting. ill keep a look out on ur updates in travel and camping..
    got a Q here… when camping around north(i.e after yanchep or two rocks ) near the beach.. would u apply for permits?

cheers

• Aaron January 3, 2010, 12:17 PM

Hey mate,

As far as I am aware, camping in Wilbinga is fine, but it seems mainly because no one cares about anyone doing it. I would suggest giving the DEC a call, and seeing what they say. In saying this, a huge number of people camp there every year without any drama, so its up to you! I have driven from Wilbinga to Cervanties, along the beach where we could. You are allowed to camp in many places in that area on the coast, but its easy to get lost getting to Moore river on the beach and further.

Have a good one!

• sarah June 23, 2010, 3:57 PM

Hey aaron, we are off to dwellingup over the weekend and wanted to do some trout fishing, is there anywhere you would recommend, and if so is it fly fishing or spinner.

• Aaron June 23, 2010, 5:40 PM

There are fish everywhere, but it could be different after the rain. Generally south of Island Pool is quite good, along with some of the smaller parts of the river near Bob’s Crossing. You need a freshwater fishing license, and you can’t throw any red fin perch back. They are decent eating though!

• Kellie October 12, 2010, 12:00 PM

Hi Aaron, Love your blog, and can see many man hours went in here, but you are missing the best part— nothing about QUEENSLAND haha

• Aaron October 12, 2010, 3:35 PM

Thanks. Queensland will come; I have visited there for two weeks and plan on blogging about it soon enough.

• Christopher Harnett May 23, 2011, 8:15 AM

Aaron

Thanks so much for the informati0n regarding LPG conversions – extremely informative and much appreciated.

All the best for your travels and your fantastic blog!

Chris
    Mulgoa NSW 2745

• Aaron May 23, 2011, 3:40 PM

Hi Christopher,

I am glad it was helpful – please let me know if there is anything else you want to know!

Have a good one

• Ben August 14, 2011, 7:55 PM

Hey Aaron,
    sites great, i know what you mean about surfing the net for hours. Just spent 5 years in Exmouth, love 4wding but unfortunately dont do enough these days. Do you do many tag along on these days you go out?
    Cheers
    Ben

• Aaron August 14, 2011, 9:23 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the comment :). I bet you would have had an awesome 5 years – I had a lot of fun in Exmouth. I too would like to get away more often, but time is limited! I haven’t ever done any tag along tours, but it is something I should look into.

Thanks for stopping by

• Kez August 22, 2011, 9:31 PM

Hi Aaron
    We’re keen to take the family and the new Kimberley Kamper out to Sandy Cape in the September/October school holidays for the maiden voyage… I’m keen to hear your views on the “No Camping” signs that have popped up along the Indian Ocean Drive and if we should try our luck with the regular Camp ground at Sandy, or head for your suggestion further South?
    New at this!
    Cheers
    Kez

• Aaron August 23, 2011, 5:04 PM

Hi Kez,

I haven’t been up the Indian Ocean drive for quite some time – I haven’t seen the ‘no camping’ signs. I’d suggest listening to them though! The only issue with Sandy Cape (especially at peak times) is that it can be incredibly busy. If you are going to get there early you might have some luck, but I can’t guarantee it. There are a few camping locations both north and south though, and although the tracks are narrow they are drivable. I would recommend Lucky Bay instead, but it really depends on whether you want to drive that far. Let me know how you go, and have a great trip.

• Anthony October 6, 2011, 2:39 PM

Aaron

Great website – you certainly have got around. The family and I are new to Australia and are planning a trip to Exmouth next Easter. We live in Sydney. We have 10 days and plan to fly-in to Perth. Some advice please; we would like to camp if we can and would like to hire a 4×4 camper. With the limited time we have is it worth hiring a vehicle in Perth and driving up to Exmouth and back. Is it even possible to hire a 4x4x camper in Exmouth? Are you able to recommend some campsites Exmouth/Ningaloo/Coral Coast that are 4×4 accessible and not over crowded during Easter.

Thanks for your help

Cheers Anthony

• Aaron October 6, 2011, 3:00 PM

G’day Anthony,

You are able to hire a Four Wheel Drive in Exmouth, although I don’t know what they come with in regards to the camping side of things. Are you looking at a four wheel drive set up for camping, or an actual Campervan? If you are used to driving long distances, you can drive to Exmouth in one go, giving you 8 days which would probably be enough. From Perth, I’d say you would be looking at around 14 – 15 hours driving though. Is there a reason you have chosen Exmouth? If you are fully self sufficient, you could camp at Warroora Station, which is just south of Coral Bay and would knock a few hours off the trip.

Unfortunately, going at Easter time means that there are likely to be a lot of people around. Have a look at this in regards to camping spots.

You will have an awesome time up north, it really is amazing. Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you!

Thanks for stopping by

• Anthony October 11, 2011, 10:33 AM

Aaron

The only reason I have picked Exmouth is so that we wanted to swim with the whale sharks which I understood departed from that town? Having arranged the whale trip we then wanted to explore the area and wanted the flexibility a 4×4 would give us. I am going to have a hard job selling to my family a 14 hour drive up to the Coral Coast so will track down the hire companies in Exmouth. I will also look at Warroora Station as a campsite. Would you also recommend any “must see or do” sites or activities that are within a resonable driving distance of Exmouth?

Thanks for you help

Anthony

• Aaron October 11, 2011, 4:52 PM

Hi Anthony,

Coral Bay also offers the whale shark tours as well. It’s a tiny town right on the beach (5 metres out to great coral too!), but you can’t fly directly there and it would probably be more for accommodation. You could drive there for the day though, and/or stay at Waroorra for a few nights. The whole area is fantastic around Exmouth and Coral Bay. If you head down the west coast, everything in between Exmouth and Coral Bay is good to visit. Everyone recommends Turquoise Bay, which is good snorkelling. Yardi Creek is worth a look, as well as the lookouts and walks around the area.

Let me know how you go!

• Yvonne Williams October 25, 2011, 1:52 PM

Hi Aaron,
    Love the site I know what you mean about surfing the web for info it drives me nuts! My family and I are off to Sandy Cape this weekend. We LOVE the place and go regularly with the dog and kids. I’m not too sure about the track your speaking of that goes south to the island? It sound good, we are always looking for new places to go and stay especially with good fishing an protected beaches for the kids. We would prefer to stay out of the dunes north of Sandy Cape as Kids and Snakes don’t mix. Is it possible to get a map of this track. I can’t seem to find one. Thanks

• Aaron October 25, 2011, 4:11 PM

Hi Yvonne, If you walk west along the beach you will find the ‘island’. It isn’t too far. Have a look at here for a map.

If you head out of Sandy Cape, just turn west down one of the sandy tracks and go for a drive. They go for ages, both ways along the coast. There are a few camp sites set up too.

Have a great trip

• Yvonne Williams October 26, 2011, 10:19 AM

Sweet Thanks 🙂 We will go for a drive before we set up camp at Sandy cape and see what they are like. It looks like a nice “quiet” Spot 🙂 Do you know if you need to pay camping fees there too? I know North of the Sandy Cape Beach Camp is free, we have never ventured south. Thanks

• Aaron October 26, 2011, 4:03 PM

As far as I know only the designated camp spot at Sandy Cape requires fees. If you go north or south and find a camp site it’s free. Of course, it pays to double check you can legally camp there! Have an awesome trip.

• rob scriven November 30, 2011, 5:34 PM

Hi Aaron
    was thinking of taking the family to Sandy Cape on the holidays, i know you can use 4X4 on the beach but what about quad bikes, do you know if they are allowed.
    cheers Rob

• Aaron November 30, 2011, 5:57 PM

G’day Rob,

I can’t say I know the answer to that. Try giving the Shire of Dandaragan a call on (08) 9652 0800.

On another note, make sure you get up there nice and early if you want a spot – It is always busy.

• Yvonne Williams December 1, 2011, 1:11 AM

Hi Rob, When we went there were quad bikes on the beach but there are also signs up that state no unlicenced vechiles. I know there was also beach patrol happening for illegal fishing etc. Hope this helps 🙂
    Vonny

• Aaron December 1, 2011, 4:11 PM

Thanks for that Yvonne!

• peter December 15, 2011, 10:38 PM

Hey, you want to get your facts right, 50% of these addresses listed below do not exist, you just change the year, Ch 7 do not have a lights comp any more and I know for a true fact, half these, and some others have not done lights for several years, bighead site

• Aaron December 18, 2011, 8:44 PM

Hi Peter,

If you look below, there are no addresses – no idea what you complaining about. If you are referring to Christmas Lights posts, I have done 2 – one for 2009 and one for 2011. Both are completely re written, and the years have not been changed. Have a look at when they were posted ;). Both are linked below

Perth Christmas Lights 2009
    Perth Christmas Lights 2011

Have a good day

• Jarod December 29, 2011, 10:44 AM

Hi Mate,

Finally a decent website an forum for us western australia lovers,
    I just saw your review on maxtrax and thought id check out the rest of the page, and ill definetly be subscribing,

Cheers,

Jarod

• Aaron December 29, 2011, 9:04 PM

G’day Jarod,

Thanks for the comments – I appreciate it. Maxtrax are certainly worth getting; used both of my sets today to launch and retrieve 2 boats and get off the beach.

Have a good one

• Soraia January 6, 2012, 6:49 PM

Hey Aaron
    just saw that u recommend Wilbinga Beach for camping and fishing
    but also read that is preferably for 4wd
    the resting area you speak of where most ppl leave their 2wds and ride their bikes how far is that from the beach
    is it a short distance where you can walk or u wouldnt suggest the walking???
    hope to hear soon as im planning on going there

• Aaron January 6, 2012, 7:10 PM

Hi Soraia,

It isn’t a short distance from the rest area. I’d suggest not going there in a 2WD. Sorry I can’t offer any more positive advice!

• Phill January 13, 2012, 1:50 PM

Aaron, firstly, Congrats on your brilliant web site. Great info, and easy to navigate, but best of all, active and up to date 🙂

My wife & I (and the dog of course) are looking for places to camp (& fish if possible) either on, or just back from the beach, anywhere from Busselton to Augusta, or maybe a little beyond.

We have an 80 Series with reasonable (285 X 75 X 16) sand tyres, so can let them down to get most places, but we are not looking for challenging conditions where we might get stuck, as we are too old to enjoy shovels any more 🙂

We just need a bit of flat ground to pitch a tent, and of course like almost everyone else, a bit of solitude, which is getting hard to find these days.

When I started 4X4ing back in the 70s, solitude could be found just north of Wanneroo,
    ….those were the days 🙂

Thanks for any suggestions you might offer.

Cheers.
    Phill & Geraldine

• Aaron January 13, 2012, 6:16 PM

G’day Phill and Geraldine,

Unfortunately I am a little less familiar with this part of the coastline, however I will be travelling that way more in the near future. As far as I am aware there are limited places you can camp right near the beach in between Busselton and Augusta. Have a look at this link; it should give you a bit of an idea. If you can stretch the drive a bit more, there is plenty of places to go further south east – Lake Jasper, Yeagarup Dunes, Windy Harbour, Walpole and Peaceful Bay. Unfortunately it seems you have to travel a decent distance away from the bigger towns for any legal camp sites to be found.

Sorry I can’t be of any more use – give it a few more months and I should have some more information

Take it easy

• Ben March 8, 2012, 10:40 AM

Hi, Aaron.
    Great site, its given me plenty of inspiration to head out to a few new places!
    Was planning on getting away this easter somewhere like Sandy Cape until I noticed the photo of the beach at the top centre of the page… Where abouts is that and do you have any details about it?
    Thanks a lot mate, keep it up.
    Ben

• Aaron March 8, 2012, 4:54 PM

G’day Ben,

I am glad you like the site! Sandy Cape is great, but it will be packed like you wouldn’t believe. The photo up the top was taken at the river mouth of Walpole. Walpole is another awesome place to visit, but it does depend on what you want to do. I couldn’t believe the water colour down there – especially when the sun comes out. If you are going to head north, perhaps Wagoe or Lucky Bay would be a better option?

Have an awesome trip what ever you decide!

• Leigh March 11, 2012, 1:32 AM

Hi Aaron
    Love the blog mate, top stuff.
    Ive just got myself a Patrol, rooftop tent and the rest of the camping gear, and am ready to take of to some of these wonderful places you have been to.
    Myself and the Mrs are keen to do a few weekend trips over the next couple of months. What places would you recommend and at what times mate? Just really want to set up camp and check some great stuff out

Cheers for your time bud
    Leigh

• Aaron March 11, 2012, 4:29 PM

G’day Leigh,

It sounds like you are well set up. What sort of places do you want to see – coastal or inland? A few places come to mind though – Sandy Cape, Lucky Bay, Brunswick Junction, Dwellingup, and Honeymoon Pool.

All of these are easily done on a weekend, but perhaps a long weekend would be advisable for Lucky Bay. If you can, spend $40 and buy 2 books – 4WD Days out of Perth and 4WD weekends out of Perth. There are a number of trips in these too. As for times, just look online to see what the weather is like. Dwellingup is good for swimming in summer, but it is often hot, covered in flies and you can’t have a fire. There is always a compromise!

Happy travels

• kylie roocke March 14, 2012, 10:52 AM

Hi Aaron, thanks for your informative website. We are heading off from Adelaide in April to spend 14 weeks visiting WA for the first time. I am having trouble working out our itinerary around Coral Bay and Ningaloo reef, we had thought to spend 2 nights around Coral bay and then another 2 nights up closer to Ningaloo reef near Exmouth. Our camps 6 book shows quite a few free camp sites but it appears you need to line up at 6 am to get one and with 2 young children I think this may be a bit hard. Can you suggest a good spot to stay and be near the reef so the children can go snorkelling and fishing. I will probably have lots more questions as I sort out our itinery!! Thanks Kylie

• Aaron March 14, 2012, 4:11 PM

G’day Kylie,

Ningaloo Reef runs from north of Exmouth to way south of Coral Bay. If you are self sufficient, Warroora Station is a great place to camp. I have never heard of having to line up at camp sites. I know there are a number of camp sites in between Coral Bay and Exmouth. Coral Bay is absolutely awesome – you could easily spend more than 2 days there. However, it is small and things are quite expensive. Exmouth is much bigger, and accommodation is cheaper too. I would stay at a Caravan Park first off until you find your way around! There are a few threads on the forums regarding camping at the stations – you should be able to find them on Google.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know (although this isn’t something I am hugely knowledgeable about)

Have an awesome trip

• Anneliese Ramsay June 28, 2012, 7:34 PM

Hi Aaron,
    It looks like you are very passionate about our beautiful state and country. Sadly, we could very easily destroy all of this through the carelessness and greediness of our politicians. You may or may not be aware the our Minister for Environment, Bill Marmion has approved fracking in WA. I only stumbled across this fact by sheer accident, as somehow they have managed to keep the approval very low key. Hopefully you are one of the lucky few who have managed to see the movie Gaslands? It is documentary on the impact fracking has had on the environment in the US – in particular on their water supplies. “Gas fracking involves pumping a cocktail of highly carcinogenic and toxic chemicals deep underground at extreme pressure in order to fracture rocks and release natural gas. Where this has occurred in the Eastern States and the USA, it has resulted in groundwater aquifers permanently contaminated with toxic chemicals and gasses.” (CCWA website) The damage is frightening as it filters through to our food chain and has massive irreversible health impacts – on humans and animals. I have finally found that the CCWA has an online petition calling for a moratorium on gas fracking in WA. From memory, the commencement of the injecting the chemicals is in July. Pre-drilling has already taken place. This morning I have been in touch with the West Australian Farmers Federation to see if they can rally any high profile links that they may have through social media. I have noticed in my research that you have a massive following on twitter and I thought perhaps that you would consider asking your twitter followers to sign the petition at http://ccwa.org.au/takeaction/fracking West Australian present and future generations would be forever indebted to you. Please help to keep our water clean for over 2 000 000 people. Thank you. Kind regards,
    Anneliese

• Aaron June 28, 2012, 7:44 PM

Hi Anneliese,

I was unaware of this. I will look into it.

• Anneliese Ramsay June 28, 2012, 8:01 PM

Thank you so much Aaron. I appreciate your help immensely.
    All the best,
    Anneliese

• Mike September 12, 2012, 3:37 AM

Hello, Where is this Broomhill Motorbike Track ? could you please provide what ever details u can..

Cheers

• Aaron September 13, 2012, 5:34 PM

Hi Mike,

I’ve just looked on the map and can’t find it. It is located only a few km’s out of the town, on one of the more major roads. I am sure the locals would direct you to it.

• Bron October 30, 2012, 7:04 AM

Hi Aaron,

Off topic question: did you work at Teekay?

Best,
    Bron

• Aaron October 30, 2012, 7:23 PM

Hi Bron,

I didn’t – haven’t even heard of it until now

• Hamish November 3, 2012, 8:08 AM

Hi Aaron
    What an awesome site, very informative and helpful. We are intending to travel up to Lancelin this weekend (4/11/12). There will be there cars (4WDs) going up and we are all fairly amateur 4WD with only a little bit of weekend driving throught the Gnangara forrest. I will keep you informed with how we go….hopefully wont get bogged???
    Once again keep up the good work on the site it is greatly appreciated and Im sure i am speaking for all the 4WD drive enthusiasts around WA (and Australia) thank you very very very much.

Cheers
    Hamish

• Aaron November 5, 2012, 5:40 PM

G’day Hamish,

I’m glad you like the site. How did the weekend away go? The beach up there can get extremely soft, but it depends on what the weather has been doing.

Enjoy mate

• Phil November 9, 2012, 5:05 PM

Hi Aaron,
    I just stumbled upon this website purely by accident and I have been reading it for over an hour now!
    Awesome work and thanks for all the information.
    So now I am ducking down to the local car dealer and buying myself a 4×4 so here’s to all you guys helping me out when I get bogged.
    Thanks Aaron.
    Phil

• Aaron November 9, 2012, 6:11 PM

G’day Phil,

You will love a fourby; what are you going to get?

Take it easy

• shaun webster January 1, 2013, 9:22 PM

Hey Aaron,

Is there any waterfalls/rock pools between burns beach & two rocks ?
    can camping and mx riding on the beach be a problem in some areas?