I love potatoes, and eat a lot of them. We’ve done a number of Potato Bakes over the years, on a fire in a camp oven, and rarely had one that wasn’t any good. We just grab a heap of ingredients and throw it in a camp oven, or a cake tin in a camp oven and drop it on the coals.
You can be super flexible with what ingredients you use; as long as you have a handful of the primary ones it doesn’t matter if you add extra, or miss a couple of items.
Potato bake ingredients
- Bacon, sliced into small pieces
- Cheddar cheese
- Potato, sliced thinly (4-5mm slices)
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- Butter (5 teaspoons)
- Sour Cream (to put on top)
- French onion soup mix (20 grams)
- Wipe butter around the camp oven/cake tin
- Slice several potatoes into slices under 4mm thick.
- Cut an onion into small pieces
- Layer the potato, onion, bacon, cheese, sour chive soup mix and mayo in the camp oven. As long as its reasonably evenly distributed you are onto a winner.
- When you’ve added enough into the camp oven, add a layer of cheese and mayo.
- Put the camp oven onto some coals, and put a small layer of coals on top too.
- Check the camp oven after 20 minutes, and then every 10. Once the potato is soft (use a fork) and the top is turning brown and crispy its good to eat. Add sour cream to taste