I’m convinced that some of the best recipes made are those that aren’t planned, or intended. Whilst staying in Exmouth, I turned around to a giant sigh from Sarah, who’d opened a can of crushed pineapple, thinking it was the normal slices. As it turns out, she’d purchased them too, not realising they weren’t our regular side to a BBQ when camping!
Now, what would you do with a can of crushed pineapple? We debated for some time, and then Sarah had a great idea; make it into a cake! This recipe is one of the most simple and delicious going, and we’ve coined it the Pineapple Mistake Cake.
You can do this with a heap of different fruits, but Pineapple seems to have the perfect blend of sweetness, texture and fluffiness.
- Packet cake mix (vanilla or butter cake). The cheap ones are fine
- One can of tinned crushed pineapple, drained
- Make up packet cake mix as per directions on back of packet.
- Pour cake mix into a cake tin (or what ever you choose to cook it in).
- Scatter pineapple on top of the cake mix.
- Cook in your weber, camp oven or normal oven. Time will vary depending on your cooking method and the weather/wind. For us, it takes about 30 mins in the weber at 150 – 180 degrees on a still evening